Last Sunday I intended to publish another post on Hawaii, but I did not. My pictures of beautiful beaches and the calm blue Pacific Ocean seemed so far away from current events. I was also dealing with some health issues. But my issues are insignificant compared to the heartbreaking devastation the people of Japan are enduring. The magnitude of the disaster which keeps growing is unbearable and our hearts grieve at all the suffering we see. Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF), the organization I support, has sent teams to Japan. You can read about it here and click on “Donate Now” if you are able or donate to another worthy charity. The Japanese people are resilient and have a great culture of compassion – I hope this will help them in the turmoil they face. It is hard to express our sorrow but life goes on. In 2011 spring starts on Sunday March 20th - I hope this new season will bring some comfort to all.
Under a sunny sky and warm weather - we expect the temperature to be 77 degrees (25 C) by tomorrow – I took my cameras to witness some signs of spring. Our dogwood trees are not flowering yet but our Oregon Holly bushes still had some of the minute yellow blossoms which are so fragrant and much loved by birds.
Petite violets are coming up through the dead leaves.

Across the street our neighbors’ forsythia was in full bloom. Another shrub with dark pink blossoms was next to it, but I do not know its name.

Going down the street I could see, several houses down, a large tree covered with white blossoms.
I don’t have a macro lens on my camera but I still tried to get as close as possible to the blossoms to see them better.

Another tree was covered with a multitude of tiny pink blossoms

and the daffodils have been blooming for a while.
Yes, spring is here. How I wish it were the same in Japan. Below is a postcard I purchased when I visited Tokyo years ago with my daughter.
I thought a collection of haiku poems composed by Japanese writers would complement these pictures and spring.

Old print showing Matsuo Basho
Matsuo Basho was a Japanese writer, descendant of samurai and a Buddhist monk. He is internationally renowned as a master of haiku. Many of his poems are reproduced on monuments and traditional sites in Japan. Here is another haiku written by him:
From all directions
Winds bring petals of cherry
Into the grebe lake.
Into the grebe lake.
-Matsuo Basho
Picture courtesy Missouri Botanical Japanese Garden
I caught a petal fallen from cherry tree in my hand.
Opening the fist
I find nothing there.
Picture courtesy Missouri Botanical Japanese GardenOpening the fist
I find nothing there.
Spring Drum Bridge, courtesy Missouri Botanical Japanese Garden
French translation of above haiku
Dans le courant de la marée du printemps
Une touffe d'algues passe
Telle une flèche.
-Hisajo Sugita 1890-1946

Une touffe d'algues passe
Telle une flèche.
-Hisajo Sugita 1890-1946

Ono no Tofu with Willows and Weeping Cherry Blossoms, Circa. 1909
courtesy Kioto National Museum
A tribute to the people of Japan –courtesy Kioto National Museum
16th century Japanese painting of Kannon* Bosatsu,* Kannon literally means "watchful listening," and is often translated as "the one who sees/hears all".

The horrific events in Japan show us again that life is precious and tragedy can strike suddenly. We all belong to this planet so what affects some of us really affects us all. We share their plight. We send our loving-kindness energy and healing thoughts to the Japanese people and also to those in the Pacific Rim who have been affected by this tragedy.






No comments:
Post a Comment